Intrepid Credit Union Overdraft Options
Transfer from another account – Savings Transfer services apply to all types of transactions and may help protect your account from being overdrawn by automatically transferring funds to your checking account from another account.
- Automatically moves money from another deposit account to checking to pay for overdrafts, as long as funds are available.
- Pays overdrafts at $5 per transfer.
Line of Credit – This personal line of credit tied to your Intrepid checking account offers you protection for emergencies and unexpected expenses. This loan will save you money on returned check and overdraft charges in the event of an accidental overdraft1.
- Access cash when you need it for large or unexpected expenses.
- Flexible repayment options.
- When used, there is a $5 per transfer fee.
To apply for an Overdraft Line of Credit, visit one of our branches or call 406-443-5400.
Standard Coverage2 – Overdraft Privilege is a discretionary service automatically provided to all eligible accounts. It is designed to help guard against having items returned or declined due to an overdraft. Overdraft Privilege allows you to overdraw your account up to the disclosed limit for a fee on checks, bill pay items, and recurring debits3.
- When used, there is a fee of $28 per paid transaction.
- Total overdrafts cannot exceed your disclosed amount, including fees.
- Members have 32 days to bring the account back to positive status.
- Overdraft Privilege is a benefit and does not require credit approval.
Extended Coverage – Extended Coverage is an extension of Standard Coverage; it is available to cover overdrafts caused by ATM and everyday debit card transactions in addition to check, bill pay items, and recurring debits in addition to what Standard Coverage offers.
How to Give Consent for Extended Coverage
Use the options below if you're interested in extending your Overdraft Privilege coverage to include ATM and everyday debit card transactions:
- Call us at (406) 443-5400.
- Visit one of our convenient branch locations.
- Complete the Extended Coverage Consent Form and drop it off at any branch location.
1Overdraft lines of credit are subject to credit approval.
2Accounts will be charged the standard Overdraft fee of $28 for handling each overdraft created by check, ACH, Point-of-Sale, ATM withdrawal, in-person withdrawal, or other electronic item that is paid and $28 for items returned. An overdrawn balance must be repaid within thirty-two (32) days. We may not pay items under your Overdraft Privilege if you do not maintain your account in good standing by bringing your account to a positive balance within every thirty-two (32) day period for a minimum of 24 hours, if you default on any loan or other obligation to Intrepid Credit Union or if your account is subject to any legal or administrative order or levy.
3If you do not want Overdraft Privilege, simply contact Intrepid Credit Union and we will provide you with a form to remove this benefit from your account. Before discontinuing Overdraft Privilege, please consider that there is no additional cost for Overdraft Privilege and by choosing to remove this benefit, you are instructing us to return unpaid all items presented against insufficient funds. If you opt-out, you will still be charged our $30 returned item fee. Members who receive Social Security, federal direct deposit, or any other entitlement benefit must opt-out if they do not want Intrepid Credit Union to apply those funds to pay an overdraft.
No application is required for Overdraft Privilege; eligibility is at the sole discretion of the Credit Union and is based on your effective management of your checking account. Your Overdraft Privilege may be suspended or permanently removed based on the following criteria:
- You do not bring your account to a positive balance within 32 days of becoming overdrawn.
- You have an account that has been opened less than 35 days.
- Your account type is not eligible.
- You are more than 30 days past due on any Credit Union loan or delinquent on any other obligation to the Credit Union.
- You are subject to any legal or administrative orders, levy, or are currently a party in a bankruptcy proceeding.
- You have an outstanding balance on an Overdraft Repayment Plan.
- Your account is being reviewed for fraudulent activity or transactions.
- The primary account owner is less than 18 years old.
- Your account is classified as inactive.
- You have an unresolved prior loss with the Credit Union.
- We do not have a valid address for you.
- We believe you are not managing your account in a responsible manner which may harm you or us.
- You currently have arranged a debt restructure or workout loan with the Credit Union.
Transactions Eligible for Overdraft Privilege Include – Checks, in-person withdrawals, ACH transactions, preauthorized automatic transfers, internet banking and telephone banking. Overdraft Privilege will not be available for ATM and everyday debit card transactions unless you authorize the Credit Union by completing an Extended Coverage Consent Form.
NOTE: If you have consented to Overdraft Privilege for ATM transactions, please verify your balance before initiating an ATM cash withdrawal. All overdrafts will be subject to our $28.00 overdraft fee for each withdrawal until the account returns to a positive balance.
Payment Order of Items
Items presented may not be processed in the same order as they were received, and that order may affect the total fees assessed to your account. Generally, ATM/Debit transactions are processed at the time of purchase unless the CU is temporarily offline or the merchant has not settled the batch on which the transaction has occurred. Checks presented to Intrepid Credit Union for payment during business hours are processed as they are received. All other check items are processed in the order received by the Federal Reserve. Items submitted electronically, such as ACH items, preauthorized automatic transfers, telephone-initiated transfers and any other electronic transfers are processed as received.
NOTE: Please be aware that holds placed on your account for pending electronic transactions, such as hotel or rental car deposits, reduce your available balance and may cause your account to become overdrawn.
Intrepid Credit Union believes that financial literacy and education helps consumers make informed decisions. Heightened awareness of personal financial responsibility helps consumers realize the benefits of responsible money management, understanding the credit process and the availability of help if problems occur. www.MyMoney.gov is the federal government’s website that serves as the one-stop shop for federal financial literacy and education programs, grants and other information. To request a personal financial toolkit, call 1-888-MyMoney.
Account Agreement – Your account agreement describes the duties, obligations, and rights of depositors, authorized signatories and the Credit Union with regard to your deposit accounts. That account agreement is incorporated herein for all purposes as if it were set forth verbatim as to matters not directly addressed by this disclosure. Your account agreement and this disclosure shall be construed so as to minimize conflicts between them.
Waiver – The Credit Union’s forbearance from, or delay in, exercising any of the Credit Union’s rights, remedies, privileges, or right to insist on your strict performance of any provisions of your account agreement, this Overdraft Privilege disclosure, or any other provision related to your account, shall not be construed to be a current or future waiver of the Credit Union’s rights, remedies or privileges.
Remedy – You and the Intrepid agree that the exclusive remedy and forum for all disputes arising out of the Overdraft Privilege or your or Credit Union’s performance there under, except for matters you or Credit Union take to small claims court, is arbitration by an independent arbitrator pursuant to the applicable rules of the American Arbitration Association, except as prohibited by law.