Every day we are seeing new developments related to the COVID-19 outbreak, and we are committed to the safety of you, our community and our staff members. Here at Intrepid Credit Union, we will continue to be here for you through these challenging times.
July 15, 2020
Coronavirus Relief Checks
The IRS plans to begin issuing coronavirus relief checks as early as April 10. The checks will be staggered and will be deposited directly into individual bank accounts. Depending on the IRS schedule, it may take several weeks or months for some individuals to receive their checks.
Checks will be deposited into the account you provided for your 2018 or 2019 tax return, or your Social Security benefits check. To ensure that the agency knows where to deposit your check, use the agency-endorsed "Free file" form here, entering your 10-digit Intrepid Credit Union account number. Addition Economic Impact Payment help can be found here.
How much will you receive?
The amount of your check depends on how much money you earn and whether you have eligible children under 17. Here's the announced payout:
$1,200 — to single person with adjusted annual gross income up to $75,000.
$2,400 — to married couple with combined adjusted gross income up to $150,000.
$500 — to the parent for each eligible child under 17. This is in addition to the parent's own coronavirus check.
Payments are reduced by $5 for every $100 earned above the limits described above, so many who earn higher incomes may still qualify for some money.
There is no requirement for how you use your check. Pay rent or utilities, gas up the car, buy books and materials for students at home, help a friend, and so on.
Some Americans will not be eligible for the stimulus check. This includes anyone claimed as a dependent on another's taxes, such as college students, disabled adults, senior citizens supported by their kids, undocumented workers without Social Security numbers, and babies born in 2020. (Those newborns should qualify for a tax credit next year.)
Your money is safe and insured at Intrepid Credit Union. Your accounts are fully insured by the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) up to $250,000. There is no risk of keeping money in your account, but there are countless risks to holding cash.
Intrepid Credit Union WILL NOT CONTACT YOU asking for your banking information in order to get your stimulus check. Please be aware of financial scams during this time.
The IRS reminds taxpayers that scammers may:
- Emphasize the words "Stimulus Check" or "Stimulus Payment." The official term is economic impact payment.
- Ask the taxpayer to sign over their economic impact payment check to them.
- Ask by phone, email, text or social media for verification of personal and/or banking information saying that the information is needed to receive or speed up their economic impact payment.
- Suggest that they can get a tax refund or economic impact payment faster by working on the taxpayer's behalf. This scam could be conducted by social media or even in person.
- Mail the taxpayer a bogus check, perhaps in an odd amount, then tell the taxpayer to call a number or verify information online in order to cash it.
Online Banking Available 24/7
Intrepid Credit Union has many great opportunities for banking and conducting business online. Some of things you can do include:
- Deposit checks, transfer, check balances and more via the Intrepid mobile app
- Pay bills, transfer money, view balances, access statements and more via Online Banking
- Apply for membership online
- Apply for a loan online
- Apply for a home loan online
Come Visit Us In The Drive-Thru
While our lobbies our currently available by appointment only (call 443-5400 to schedule an appointment) our drive-thrus are open during regular business hours. We have ATMs that are available at our Kessler, Sanders, Prospect and Bozeman branches. ATM locations and drive-thru hours can be found here.
How Else Can We Help You
- Our Sanders, Prospect and Kessler branch locations have night drop boxes
- Utilize our Cash-A-Plenty program
- Connect with a staff member via the phone at (406) 443-5400.
Our Team Members
Here are other ways we are keeping our employees, our community and our members healthy.
• We are working with our cleaning crews at our locations to ensure that the recommended cleaning and sanitizing standards are being met with regular sanitation of public surfaces.
• We provide and encourage the use of cleaning wipes and hand sanitizer to our staff.
• We also encourage regular hand washing for at least 20 seconds.
• We are also encouraging any of our staff who are sick to stay at home and recover before returning to work.
Be Aware Of Scams
Fraudsters are leveraging fear over the coronavirus as an opportunity to scam financial institutions and consumers. Be aware for scammers contacting you through phone calls, emails and text messages that appear to be from Intrepid Credit Union that are asking for personal and online banking information. Even if a call says that it is from Intrepid Credit Union, Caller ID can be "spoofed" and isn't a reliable way to identify a caller.
Fraudsters are also posing as the CDC Health Alert Network to steal personal information. They have software that steals usernames, passwords, credit card numbers and other data stored in your browser. In order to protect yourself from these scammers, here are a few pointers to help keep you safe:
1. Use only reputable sources when searching for information about the coronavirus.
2. Be aware of phishing emails and never click unknown attachments or links.
3. Be cautious of emails and phone calls offering unexpected information and asking for personal information.
The best practice in avoiding scams and hackers is to not click on any links in emails you were not expecting or you did not request. The email’s text may contain false news about the COVID-19. These phishing emails are distributed through infected email attachments, malicious online ads, social engineering, and software vulnerabilities.
When you get an unexpected email like this, JUST DELETE IT. We do not want you to get tricked into entering personal information or click on a link that will download malware onto your computer. We want to keep you safe. Thank you for choosing Intrepid Credit Union.
Keep Yourself Healthy
For more information about COVID-19, please visit CDC.gov.
We are here to help if you are impacted by coronavirus and in need of financial assistance. For information about how Intrepid Credit Union can help, please contact a member service representative at (406) 443-5400.